This week we take off for the beach. Jay Libby joins us for a romp across the sands as we cast off our preconceptions on what an adventure should be and soak in the inspiring rays of the sun. We scrunch our toes in the conundrum of whether our characters are ever off the job and can enjoy a golden afternoon with their worst enemy.
So belly up to the bar and order an unbrella drink on us
What kind of adventures would be interesting if they occured on or near the beach?
What adventures already exist from various sources that use a beach as a center piece?
- beach bunny bimbos with blasters
- shadow over insmouth
- any D-day adventure
- dr No
- sea hunt
- blood beach
- club paradise
- horror of party beach
- Thunder in paradise
Beach associated locations:
- art gallery
- amusement park
- outlet for storm drain
- aquatic arcology
- hotel strip
- hot dog stand
Danger Island -- A Mock Horror Adventure for GURPS(tm) http://www-personal.umich.edu/~superman/JPK/APA-Best-of/Danger-Island.html
What kind of equipment would you still be wearing, carrying if you were in a swimsuit at a beach? What kind of contingencies would you set up?
- shoulder bag with additional gear and/or 13th pocket. This shoulder bag goes over the back with strap across chest which provides storage but wearer can swim and run normally - hands free
- submerged gear
- buried gear
- remote delivery gear
- remote control seeking vehicles (big tire not hover)
- athletic bikini,
- one piece,
- triathelon, wet suit
string - any suit that is designed primary for legal modesty and to draw attention to body attributes. Does not limit mobility except for modesty reasons.
athletic bikini - bare midriff with good support and good sand protection one piece - best support, skin coverage while still showing off body lines
triathelon - designed to be used in or out of water with thigh to neck skin coverage. Provides support for additional equipment. Maximum legal protection
Wet suit - maximum thermal protection. best non-magical threat protection that doesn't raise too many eyebrows. Hot out of water. Limits mobility
Why Sun tan lotion is your best friend
- Should not be used to protect skin in rpg - burns not fun
- Can be used to write message
- both a physical and social lubricant
- bonus to wriggling out of bonds (escape artist) or grapple checks
- bonus to sliding
- bonus to chemical or burning material spray
- can be used as a social ice breaker and then used to distract
- minus to hide
- watch (waterproof),
- cell phone (kirilean detector),
- c4 tennis shoes,
- bureau lighter,
- 13th pocket
- comm link
- high tension cord
it is always good to keep some cord on you. Can be worn as a belt or strap for bag.
Do you ever assume you are off the clock? Would you share a tray of umbrella drinks with Mathias Bolt for just one golden afternoon?
- all off the clock - dress for show
- most off the clock - off dress for show but with good shoes,
- on the clock should wear triathelon suit and carry bag with additional equipment.
How does it change the threat level if the big bad is also in a swim suit (note Cthuthu in a swim suit is the ultimate no change in threat level)? How does it inform the adventure and your tactics when you are in a highly visible, populated, and possibly congested area?
What impromptu equipment can you find on the beach?
- propane tanks for explosives
- tiki torches and fuel for splash weapons and flame thrower
- tiki torch holders make nasty spears
- rocks in towel makes a sling or a bunch makes a club
- kevlar covered rescue floats for shields
- electrical devices for shocking
- Life Guard med kit for first aid
- beach patrol atv for mobility, attacking and fleeing
- Jet Ski with tow rope for clotheslining aquatic foes - maybe grab and pull on land?